Baluwatar land grab case: Kathmandu District Government Attorney Office sends probe report back to CIB
KATHMANDU: The Kathmandu District Government Attorney Office has sent the investigation report of the Lalita Niwas land grab case back to the Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) of Nepal Police.
The Attorney Office has decided to send the investigation report back to the CIB due to lack of evidence to support the petitioner’s claims.
The Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) of Nepal Police had submitted the investigation report of the Lalita Niwas land grab case to the Kathmandu District Government Attorney’s Office on January 2.
Earlier on January 1, the Kathmandu District Court ordered the Central Investigation Bureau to arrest over 300 individuals for their involvement in forging documents to grab the land of Lalita Niwas.
According to a source, the Government Attorney’s office has decided to send the report back to the CIB as it had only tried to earn the admiration by going to the media instead of collecting the evidence.
“It has been said to file the forgery case. But who is the mastermind behind the forgery? Who has done the forgery? The government’s lawyers cannot take the case without proper evidence on any of these issues. What to give if the judge seeks evidence in the court? That is why the office has decided to send the report back to the CIB for investigation,” the source said.
The government lawyers and the judge take the case only on the basis of evidence.
The officials of the Government Attorney’s Office said that the guilty will be acquitted easily if the case is filed without proper evidence.
The lawyers suspected that the government is mounting pressure on the police administration to protect the main culprits of the Baluwatar case through the CIB.
The cases should be filed within two years in the case of forgery of government documents.
The two-year time given by the erstwhile KP Sharma Oli-led government to investigate the Baluwatar case will expire tomorrow.